Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Circle of Light, Day 1

Ello fellow bloggers!

I speak to you tonight from the Royal York hotel in Toronto! I love Toronto, I feel at home here, but It makes me miss New York. Why am I in Toronto and staying at one of the oldest hotels in the city? Why for the Circle of Light conference of course. I was chosen to be on a student panel of First Nations, Metis and Inuit teenagers and we all had eight minute speeches. Mine went decently well, I got a few laughs and all, it was fun. To tell you the truth my Mumsi was more nervous then I was. She filmed it and her hand was shaking, and I was the one addressing 750 people! She makes me laugh sometimes.

Now, there are a few things I’ve learned about this hotel since I first arrived.

1)It’s Old.
2)The higher up the floor, the better the rooms. (I’m on floor 2 and it’s nice….Makes me wonder what floor 10 is like…)
3)The beds are too squishy to jump on.
4)The bathrooms ACTUALLY have shelves you can put stuff on!
5)Every towel comes with a ribbon bow.
6)There are 20 billion elevators.
7)Not every elevator will take you to the same place.
8)4 of the elevators DO NOT go to floor 2. (Learned from experience)
9)If you wave at the guys in the office building across the street, they’ll wave back.
10)If you wave at a teen in the office building across the street, he’ll flip you off.

And Finally,

11)You CANNOT wear long dresses on the escalator or they WILL get caught. (There’s even a warning sign)

My room has this really tacky lamp in it, that kind of freaks me out. It’s yellow with red and blue patterns on it. But, in the middle of the patterns is, you’ve guessed it.

A GIANT EVIL ROOSTER!...or chicken. I can’t really tell personally, all I know is it’s right by my bed, has this big creepy eye, and most likely watches me while I sleep…..

I’ve also met some neat people here. I just returned from the dinner banquet where I saw a group of students from Nunavut, they did some throat singing. I’ve always wondered what that was. You should seriously YouTube it. It’s intense.
Well, that’s about it for now, I’ll post my speech later and the link to my Mumsi’s shaky video :P

Oh yeah I almost forgot!

Conclusion: The Royal York is cool, Throat singers are cooler, and the evil chicken rooster on my lamp is probably alive….Help.

0 comments:

Post a Comment